Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Does he or doesn't he...?

In my twenties I often went scuba diving. One of my regular buddies was a train driver by profession. During one of our dives I asked him if anyone had ever jumped in front of his train. His fierce response took me by surprise.

"I think that's such a stupid question! As if that's the most important thing that can happen during my work."

He eventually explained that, fortunately, it had never happened to him, but that he knew colleagues who had faced a jumper for their train. The impact, he said, is enormous. Fortunately, there is good guidance for the people who this happens to.

When I came across the photo I used for this Flash Fiction story, this memory came to mind. But, as befits a Twisted Tuesday, the story turns out slightly differently than you would expect...

The Flash Fiction story "End of the line" is only available on REAM and directly from the author. (Free to download to all subscribers till January 15)